Sunday, June 10, 2012

This morning I read an email from a blog of a woman with a special needs child, kind of like me.  And I was inspired to at last start my own.  People have been suggesting I do this, and now I feel it's time to put my life out their.  Not only so that people can understand what it is to be in the world with a situation that's outside of the normal paradigm, but also to relate with and inspire others who may be dealing with similar issues.

So today I read about someone who thinks that special needs children are too much of a burden.  That her son who has minor asbergers should be more entitled to funds allocated by the government than other children with more server symptoms.


  I have so many things to say about this.  I'm appalled that someone who has a special needs child would say that her son deserves more since he's not as bad off.  Well, if her child was a more severe case, I'll bet her point of view would be very different. That's someone who can not see beyond her own nose.  I thought we were getting past this as a society.  What about all of the typically developed people out there who are non-contributors of society.
    I think my son Lazaro, (9, Prader-Willi Syndrom & Autism) may contribute more than most people just by being who he is.  It may not be the normal way of thinking about contributing,(having s decent job or whatever) but he brings a light and joy not many have, an innocence and purity to the world.
  I was thinking the other day about how genuine his expression is.  It would never occur to him to lie,  he would not intentionally hurt someone else.  That can't be said about most typically developed people.  Even kids these days can be nasty.  It's a shame that people would shut special kids, special people out of society, for fear of what they may learn about themselves.  I for one think we should embrace the way they are different and celebrate them for it, enjoy their special qualities and accept them. For they are a reflection of ourselves and for some it may be difficult to look at.


    For me, it has been an opportunity to grow in ways others can't imagine.  I am a better person now for having gone through these challenges.  I look forward to sharing more with you in time, and I hope that others find this blog and add to it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment